Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Undergraduate research opportunities are available in Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute laboratories. The number of laboratories with these opportunities varies throughout the year. Undergraduate students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in laboratory techniques, and to explore careers in biomedical research. Students with previous research laboratory experience are often preferred. For local students, continuation in the laboratory during the school year may be possible. Students are responsible for their own housing.
The Research Education Office does not place undergraduate students in the labs of the Lerner Research Institute. If you are interested in a research opportunity, we recommend that you do the following:
- Prepare an updated resume that includes your research experience, your relevant coursework and grades, and your contact information.
- Review the "Scientific Report" for research programs in labs that interest you.
- Familiarize yourself with the general research area of those labs.
- Send each Principal Investigator (Faculty member) of those labs that interest you a brief and customized email to introduce yourself, your interest in the work of that particular lab and your availability.
- Attach your updated resume to the email that you are sending to the investigators. Include a list of relevant science and math courses that you have taken, your GPA and a list of academic references with contact information (no relatives, please).
- In addition, send your resume with an introductory paragraph INCLUDED in the resume to REO@ccf.org.
- You may wish to follow up with a phone call or email to the Principal Investigator within 5 - 7 days.
- Be prepared to convey your enthusiasm for their research to all the investigators who respond to your email.
- Be prepared to provide a letter of reference from a professor in your major if you are hired.
- If you receive more than one offer, select the lab that best fits your interests and abilities.
The Principal Investigators of the Lerner Research Institute may not be able to provide research opportunities for all students seeking them.
Cleveland State - University Scholars Program
The Lerner Research Institute is a participant in the undergraduate University Scholars Program at Cleveland State University. Undergraduate honors students at Cleveland State are given the opportunity to conduct research in the laboratories of the LRI. Interested students must apply directly to the CSU Honors Program and must be selected by CSU faculty to participate. For more information, please visit the University Scholars Program website.
UNCF/Merck Science Fellowship
This fellowship is intended to help African American undergraduate students interested in science or engineering. The UNCF/Merck fellowships allow students to further their education in science and pursue potential careers in the field. For more information, please click here.
Lerner Research Institute Outreach Program
Experience the Lerner Research Institute Outreach Program on your campus and on ours. This program provides two informational venues for interested students and faculty of undergraduate science programs:
- Principal Investigators of the Lerner Research Institute have volunteered to participate as Faculty Ambassadors to present scientific seminars and information about our Ph.D. Partnership Programs to undergraduate students and faculty at regional colleges and universities.
- A follow-up "Visit the Lerner Research Institute Day" can be provided to bring interested students and faculty to our campus to experience, first-hand, the cutting-edge research programs of the Institute.
For additional information on our Outreach Program and our Faculty Ambassadors, please contact the Research Education Office at email@example.com, 216.444.4860.
Other Research Opportunities
Please visit http://clevelandintern.net/ for other opportunities in the Cleveland area.