My research interests lie in the development the statistical methods and computation tools, and their applications to genetic and epigenetic studies. My recent work focuses on genome-wide mapping and analysis of chromosome architecture. Currently, I am the PI of NHGRI 2021 Genomic Innovator Award (R35HG011922), the sub-contract PI of the NIH 4D Nucleome Consortium Phase II Grant (UM1HG011585, PI: Ren), and the sub-contract PI of the NHGRI Small Business Innovation Research Grant (R44HG011897, PI: Schmitt).
I have developed data normalization method HiCNorm (PMID: 23023982) which has been widely used in the analysis of genome-wide chromatin interactomic data. I have also developed methods for inferring three-dimensional chromatin organization and its dynamics, detecting long-range chromatin interactions, and jointly analyzing compendium of chromatin interactomic data. I played a key role in the discovery of topologically associating domains (TADs) (PMID: 22495300) and frequently interacting regions (FIREs) (PMID: 27851967). My work on a compendium of chromatin contact maps across 21 human cell lines and primary tissues (PMID: 27851967) has been selected as a “Research Highlight” by Nature Reviews Genetics (PMID: 27956750). I have published a review paper on chromosome architecture in Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology (PMID: 27580841). I have developed MAPS, a model-based method to identify long-range chromatin interactions from PLAC-Seq and HiChIP experiments (PMID: 30986246), which as been approved as the production pipeline for PLAC-seq and HiChIP data in the 4D Nucleome project. I have performed the first study of chromatin interactome variations across multiple individuals (PMID: 31779666).
Most recently, I performed integrative analysis of multi-omics data from developing human cortex and discovered super-interactive promoters, which fine-tune transcription in a cell-type-specific manner. This work is published in Nature (PMID: 33057195). I have developed SnapHiC, the first method to identify chromatin loops from single cell Hi-C data, which is published in Nature Methods (PMID: 34446921). I have also developed methods for analyzing ChIP-seq data, bulk cell RNA-seq data and single cell RNA-seq data. As a biostatistician, I have contributed to multiple clinical studies in the area of ophthalmology and emergency medicine.
Bold lists Hu lab members.
First author and corresponding author papers
22. Yu M*, Abnousi A*, Zhang Y, Li G, Lee L, Chen Z, Fang R, Lagler T, Yang Y, Wen J, Sun Q, Li Y, Ren B# and Hu M# (2021). SnapHiC: a computational pipeline to identify chromatin loops from single cell Hi-C data. Nature Methods. 18(9):1056-1059. *Co-first author. #Co-corresponding author.
21. Liu W*, Yang Y*, Abnousi A, Zhang Q, Kubo N, Martin J, Li Y# and Hu M# (2021). MUNIn: a statistical framework for identifying long-range chromatin interactions from multiple samples. Human Genetics and Genomics Advances. 2(3):100036 *Co-first author. #Co-corresponding author.
20. Song M*, Pebworth MP*, Yang X*, Abnousi A, Fang C, Wen J, Rosen J, Choudhary M, Cui X, Jones I, Bergenholtz S, Ugomma CE, Juric I, Li B, Maliskova L, Lee J, Liu W, Pollen A, Li Y, Wang T, Hu M*,#, Kriegstein A# and Shen Y# (2020). Cell-type-specific 3D epigenomes in the developing human cortex. Nature 587(7835):644-649. *Co-first author. #Co-corresponding author.
19. Crowley C, Yang Y*, Qiu Y, Hu B, Abnousi A, Lipinski J, Plewczynski D, Won H, Di W, Ren B, Hu M* and Li Y* (2020). FIREcaller: detecting frequently interacting regions from Hi-C data. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal. 19:355-362 *Co-corresponding author.
18. Gorkin DU*, Qiu Y*, Hu M*,#, Fletez-Brant K, Liu T, Schmitt AD, Noor A, Sebat J, Li Y, Hansen KD and Ren B#. (2019) Common DNA sequence variation influences 3-dimensional architecture of the human genome. Genome Biology. 20(1):255. *Co-first author. #Co-corresponding author.
17. Yu J, Hu M* and Li C*. (2019) Joint analyses of multi-tissue Hi-C and eQTL data demonstrate close spatial proximity between eQTLs and their target genes. BMC Genetics. 20(1):43 *Co-corresponding author.
16. Juric I*, Yu M*, Abnousi A, Raviram R, Fang R, Zhao Y, Zhang Y, Qiu Y, Yang Y, Li Y, Ren B# and Hu M# (2019). MAPS: model-based analysis of long-range chromatin interactions from PLAC-Seq and HiChIP experiments. PLOS Computational Biology. 15(4):e1006982. *Co-first author. #Co-corresponding author.
15. Sun Z, Chen L, Xin H, Jiang Y, Huang Q, Cillo AR, Tabib T, Kolls JK, Bruno TC, Lafyatis R, Vignali DAA, Chen K, Ding Y*, Hu M* and Chen W*. (2019) BAMM-SC: a Bayesian mixture model for clustering droplet-based single cell transcriptomic data from population studies. Nature Communications. 10(1):1649. *Co-corresponding author. This paper has been selected as one of the International Biometric Society Eastern North American Regions (ENAR) Distinguished Student Paper Awards for the 2019 ENAR Spring Meeting in Philadelphia, PA.
14. Zhang R, Hu M*, Zhu Y*, Qin ZS, Deng K and Liu JS. (2018) Inferring spatial organization of individual topologically associated domains via piecewise helical model. *Co-corresponding author. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. 17(2), 647-656.
13. Sun Z, Wang T, Deng K, Wang X, Layfatis R, Ding Y, Hu M* and Chen W* (2017). DIMM-SC: A Dirichlet mixture model for clustering droplet-based single cell transcriptomic data. *Co-corresponding author. Bioinformatics. 34(1): 139-146.
10. Schmitt AD*, Hu M*, #, Jung I, Xu Z, Qiu Y, Tan CL, Li Y, Lin S, Lin Y, Barr CL and Ren B#. (2016) A compendium of chromatin contact maps reveal spatially active regions in the human genome. Cell Reports. 17(8): 2042-2059. *Co-first author. #Co-corresponding author.
8. Xu Z, Zhang G, Duan Q, Chai S, Zhang B, Wu C, Jin F, Feng Y, Li Y* and Hu M*. (2016) HiView: an integrative genome browser to leverage Hi-C results for the interpretation of GWAS variants. BMC Research Notes. 9(1): 159. *Co-corresponding author.
7. Xu Z, Zhang G, Jin F, Chen M, Furey TS, Sullivan PF, Qin ZS, Hu M* and Li Y*. (2016) A hidden Markov random field based Bayesian method for the detection of long-range chromosomal interactions in Hi-C data. Bioinformatics. 32(5): 650-656. *Co-corresponding author.
6. Hu M, Deng K, Qin ZS and Liu JS. (2013) Understanding spatial organizations of chromosomes via statistical analysis of Hi-C data. Quantitative Biology, 1(2): 156-174. Featured cover image for this issue in Quantitative Biology. Selected as one of the two featured articles for this issue in Quantitative Biology.
64. Wen J, Lagler T, Sun Q, Yang Y, Chen J, Harigaya Y, Sankaran V, Hu M, Reiner A, Raffiel L and Li Y (2021). Super interactive promoters provide insights into cell type-specific regulatory networks in blood lineage cell types. In press. PLOS Genetics.
63. Ypsilanti A, Pattabiraman K, Catto-Pretta R, Golonzhka O, Lindtner S, Tang K, Jones I, Abnousi A, Juric I, Hu M, Shen Y, Dickel DE, Visel A, Pennachio LA, Hawrylycz M, Thompson C, Zeng H, Barozzi I, Nord A and Rubenstein J (2021). Transcriptional network orchestrating regional patterning of cortical progenitors. In press. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
62. Babiuch A, Wjkoff C, Yordi S, Yu H, Srivastava SK, Hu M, Le TK, Lunasco L, Resse J, Nittala M, Sadda S and Ehlers JP (2021). The two-year leakage index and quantitative microaneurysm results of the RECOVERY study: quantitative ultra-widefield findings in proliferative diabetic retinopathy treated with intravitreal aflibercept. In press. Journal of Personalized Medicine.
61. Rosen J, Yang Y, Abnousi A, Chen J, Song M, Jones I, Shen Y, Hu M and Li Y (2021) HPrep: quantifying reproducibility in HiChIP and PLAC-seq datasets. Current Issues in Molecular Biology. 43(2), 1156-1170.
60. Sevgi D, Srivastava SK, Whitney J, O'Connel M, Kar S, Hu M, Reese J, Madabhushi A and Ehlers J (2021). Characterization of ultra-widefield angiographic vascular features in diabetic retinopathy with automated severity classification. Ophthalmology Science. 1(3):100049.
58. Ren X, Wang M, Li B, Jamieson K, Zheng L, Jones I, Li B, Takagi MA, Lee J, Maliskova L, Tam TW, Yu M, Hu R, Lee L, Abnousi A, Li G, Li Y, Hu M, Ren B, Wang W and Shen Y (2021). Parallel characterization of cis-regulatory elements in multiple genes using CRISPRpath. Science Advances. 7(38):eabi4360.
57. Abraham J, Wykoff C, Apepalli S, Lunasco L, Yu H, Martin A, Mugnaini C, Hu M, Reese J, Srivastava S, Brown D and Ehlers J (2021). Exploring the angiographic-biologic phenotype in the IMAGE DME study: quantitative UWFA and cytokine expression. In press. British Journal of Ophthalmology.
56. Mokarram M, Pourghasemi HR, Hu M and Zhang H (2021). Determining and forecasting drought-prone areas in southwestern Iran using fuzzy-AHP method coupled with CA-Markov mode. Science of the Total Environment. 781:146703.
55. Huang H, Zhu Q, Jussila A, Han Y, Bintu B, Kern C, Conte M, Zhang Y, Bianco S, Chiariello A, Yu M, Hu R, Tastemel M, Juric I, Hu M, Nicodemi M, Zhuang X and Ren B (2021). CTCF mediates dosage and sequence-context-dependent transcriptional insulation through formation of local chromatin domains. Nature Genetics. 53, 1064-1074.
54. Ehlers JP, Zahid R, Kaiser PK, Heier JS, Brown DM, Meng X, Reese JL, Le T, Lunasco L, Hu M and Srivastava SK (2021). Longitudinal assessment of ellipsoid zone integrity, subretinal hyperreflective material, and sub-RPE disease in neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology Retina. S2468-6530(21)00066-X.
53. Ehlers JP, Clark J, Uchida A, Figueiredo N, Babiuch A, Talcott KE, Lunasco L, Le TK, Meng X, Hu M, Reese JL and Srivastava SK (2021). Longitudinal higher-order OCT assessment of quantitative fluid dynamics and the total retinal fluid index in neovascular AMD. Translational Vision Science & Technology. 10(3):29.
52. Lagler T, Abnousi A, Hu M, Yang Y and Li Y (2021). HiC-ACT: improved detection of chromatin interactions from Hi-C data via aggregated Cauchy test. American Journal of Human Genetics. Volume 108, Issue 2, pages 257-268.
51. Ehlers JP, Uchida A, Sevgi D, Hu M, Reed K, Berliner A, Vitti R, Chu K and Srivastava SK (2020). Retinal fluid volatility associated with interval tolerance and visual outcomes in diabetic macular edema in the VISTA phase III trial. American Journal of Ophthalmology. Volume 224, page 217-227.
50. Kubo N, Ishii H, Xiong X, Bianco S, Meitinger F, Hu R, Hocker J, Conte M, Gorkin D, Yu M, Li M, Dixon J, Hu M, Nicodemi M, Zhao H and Ren B (2020). Promoter-proximal CTCF-binding promotes long-range-enhancer dependent gene activation. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology. 28(2):152-161.
49. Buren EV, Hu M, Weng C, Jin F, Li Y, Wu D and Li Y (2020). TWO-SIGMA: a novel TWO-component SInGle cell Model-based Association method for single cell RNA-seq data. Genetic Epidemiology. Volume 45, Issue 2, 142-153.
48. Abraham J, Wykoff C, Arepalli S, Lunasco L, Yu H, Hu M, Reese JL, Srivastava SK, Brown D and Ehlers JP (2020). Aqueous cytokine expression and higher-order OCT biomarkers: assessment of the anatomic-biologic bridge in the IMAGINE DME study. American Journal of Ophthalmology 222:328-339.
47. Babiuch A, Wykoff CC, Hach J, Srivastava S, Talcott K, Yu H, Nittala M, Sadda S, Ip MS, Le T, Hu M, Reese JL and Ehlers JP (2020). Longitudinal panretinal microaneurysm dynamics on ultra-widefield fluorescein angiography in eyes treated with intravitreal aflibercept for proliferative diabetic retinopathy in the RECOVERY study. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 105(8):1111-1115.
46. Liu C, Abnousi A, Bazeley P, Ni Y, Morely M, Morvec C, Hu M and Tang W (2020). Global analysis of histone modifications and long-range chromatin interaction revealed the differential cistrome changes and novel transcriptional players in human dilated cardiomyopathy. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology. 145:30-42.
45. Lu L, Liu X, Huang WK, Giusti-Rodriguez P, Cui J, Zhang S, Xu W, Wen Z, Ma S, Rosen J, Xu Z, Bartels C, Kawaguchi R, Hu M, Scacheri P, Rong Z, Li Y, Sullivan P, Song H, Ming G, Li Y and Jin F (2020). Robust Hi-C maps of enhancer-promoter interactions reveal the function of non-coding genome in neural development and diseases. Molecular Cell. 79(3):521-534.
44. Babiuch AS, Uchida A, Hu M, Mehnaz K, Srivastava SK, Singh RP, Kaiser PK, Rachitskaya A, Reese JL and Ehlers JP (2020). Use of OCTA capillary perfusion density measurements to detect and grade macular ischemia. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. 51(4):S30-S36.
43. Figueiredo N, Talcott KE, Srivastava SK, Hu M, Rachitskay A, Sharma S, Singh RP, Yuan A, Reese JL and Ehlers JP (2020). Conventional microscope-integrated intraoperative OCT versus digitally enabled intraoperative OCT in vitreorential surgery in the DISCOVER study. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. 51(4):S37-S43.
42. Browne AW, Ansari W, Hu M, Baynes K, Lowder CY, Ehlers JP and Srivastava SK (2020). Quantitative analysis of ellipsoid zone in acute posterior multifocal placoid pigment epitheliopathy. Journal of VitreoRential Diseases. 4(3): 192-201.
41. Babiuch AS, Wykoff CC, Srivastava SK, Talcott KE, Zhou B, Hach J, Hu M, Reese JL and Ehlers JP (2020). Retinal leakage index dynamics on ultra-widefield fluorescein angiography in eyes treated intravitreal aflibercept for proliferative diabetic retinopathy in the RECOVERY study. Retina. 40(11):2175-2183.
40. Zhu C, Yu M, Huang H, Juric I, Abnousi A, Lucero J, Behres M, Hu M and Ren B. (2019) An ultra high-througput method for single-cell joint analysis of open chromatin and transcriptome. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology. 26(11):1063-1070.
39. Venkat AG, Singh RP, Eisengart J, Hu M and Babiuch A (2019). Trends in neovascular glaucoma management: practice patterns of glaucoma and retina specialists in the United States. American Journal of Ophthalmic Clinical Trials. 2019;2:7.
38. Figueiredo N, Srivastava S, Singh RP, Babiuch A, Sharma S, Rachitskaya A, Talcott K, Reese J, Hu M and Ehlers JP (2019). Longitudinal panretinal leakage and ischemic indices in retinal vascular disease following aflibercept therapy: The PERMEATE study. Ophthalmology Retina. 4(2), 154-163.
37. Wu S, Turner K, Nguyen N, Raviram R, Erb M, Santini J, Luebeck J, Rajkumar U, Diao Y, Li B, Zhang W, Jameson N, Corces MR, Granja JM, Chen X, Coruh C, Abnousi A, Houston J, Ye Z, Hu R, Yu M, Kim H, Law J, Verhaak R, Hu M, Furnari F, Chang H, Ren B, Bafna V and Mischel P (2019). Circular ecDNA promotes accessible chromatin and high oncogene expression. Nature. 575(7784):699-703.
36. Jiang A, Srivastava S, Hu M, Figueiredo N, Babiuch A, Boss J, Reese J and Ehlers JP (2019). Quantitative ultra-widefield angiographic features and associations with diabetic macular edema. Ophthalmology Retina. 4(1), 49-56.
35. Ehlers JP, Uchida A, Hu M, Figueiredo N, Kaiser P, Heier JS, Brown DM, Boyer DS, Do DV, Gibson A, Saroj N and Srivastava S (2019). Higher order assessment of OCT in diabetic macular edema from the VISTA Study: ellipsoid zone dynamics and the retinal fluid index. Ophthalmology Retina. 3(12):1056-1066.
34. Xu B, Song B, Lu X, Kim J, Hu M, Zhao JC and Yu J (2019). Altered chromatin recruitment by FOXA1 mutations promotes androgen independence and prostate cancer progression. Cell Research. 29(9):773-775.
33. Jiang A, Srivasava SK, Figueiredo N, Babiuch A, Hu M, Resse J and Ehlers JP (2019). Repeatability of automated leakage quantification and microaneurysm identification utilizing an analysis platform for ultra-widefield fluorescein angiography. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 104(4):500-503.
32. Uchida A, Hu M, Babiuch A, Srivastava SK, Singh SP, Kaiser PK, Talcott K, Rachitskaya A and Ehlers JP (2019). Optical coherence tomography angiography characteristics of choroidal neovascularization requiring varied doseing frequencies in treat-and-extend management: an analysis of the AVATAR study. PLOS One. 14(6):e0218889.
31. Ehlers JP, Jiang A, Boss J, Hu M, Figueiredo N, Babiuch A, Talcott K, Sharma S, Hach J, Le T, Rogozinski A, Lunasco L, Reese J and Srivastava S (2019). Quantitative ultra-widefield angiography and diabetic retinopathy severity: an assessment of panretinal leakage index, ischemic index and microaneurysm count. Ophthalmology. 126(11):1527-1532.
29. Yamada T, Yang Y, Valnegri P, Juric I, Abnousi A, Markwalter KY, Guthrie AN, Godec A, Oldenborg A, Hu M, Holy TE and Bonni A. (2019) Sensory experience remodels genome architecture in neural circuit to drive motor learning. Nature. 569(7758):708-713.
28. Babiuch A, Uchida A, Figueiredo N, Hu M, Khan M, Srivastava SK, Singh RP, Rachitskaya A, Kaiser PK, Reese JL and Ehlers JP. (2019) Impact of optical coherence tomograhpy angiography review strategy on detection of choroidal neovascularization. Retina. 40(4):672-678.
27. Ehlers JP, Uchida A, Srivastava SK and Hu M. (2019) Predictive model for macular hole closure speed: insights from intraoperative optical coherence tomography. Translational Vision Science and Technology. 8(1):18.
26. Koshkin V, Garcia J, Reynolds J, Elson P, Magi-Galluzzi C, McKenney J, Isse K, Bishop E, Saunders L, Balyimez A, Rashid S, Hu M, Stephenson A, Fergany A, Lee B, Haber G, Dowlati A, Gilligan T, Ornstein M, Rini B, Mian O and Grivas P. (2019) Transcriptomic and protein analysis of small cell bladder cancer (SCBC) identifies prognostic biomarkers and DLL3 as a relevant therapeutic target. Clinical Cancer Research. 25(1): 210-221.
25. Ugwuegbu O, Uchida A, Singh RP, Beven L, Hu M, Srivastava SK and Ehlers JP. (2019) Quantitative assessment of outer retinal layers and ellipsoid zone mapping in hydroxychloroquine retinopathy. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 103(1): 3-7.
24. Li M, Santpere G, Kawasawa YI, Evgrafov OV, Gulden FO, Pochareddy S, Sunkin SM, Li Z, Shin Y, Zhu Y, Sousa AMM, Werling DM, Kitchen RR, Kang H, Pletikos M, Choi J, Muchnik S, Xu X, Wang D, Lorente-Galdos B, Liu S, Giusti-Rodríguez P, Won H, Leeuw CA, Pardinas A, BrainSpan Consortium, PsychENCODE Consortium, PsychENCODE Developmental Subgroup, Hu M, Jin F, Li Y, Owen MJ, O'Donovan MC, Walters JTR, Posthuma D, Levitt P, Weinberger DR, Kleinman JE, Geschwind DH, Hawrylycz MJ, State MW, Sanders SJ, Sullivan PF, Gerstein MB, Lein ES, Knowles JA and Sestan N. (2018) Integrative functional genomic analysis of human brain development and neuropsychiatric risks. Science. 362 (6420), eaat7615.
23. Wang Y, Song F, Zhong B, Zhang L, Xu J, Kuang D, Li D, Choudhary M, Li Y, Hu M, Hardison R, Wang T and Yue F. (2018) The 3D Genome Browser: a web-based browser for visualizing 3D genome organization and long-range chromatin interactions. Genome Biology. 19(1): 151.
22. Arepalli S, Srivastava SK, Hu M, Kaiser PM, Dukles N, Reese JL and Ehlers JP. (2018) Assessment of inner and outer retinal layer metrics on the cirrus HD-OCT platform in normal eyes. PLOS One. 13(10):e0203324.
21. Babiuch AS, Khan M, Hu M, Kaiser PK, Srivastava SK, Singh RP, Watts A, Reese JL and Ehlers JP (2018). Comparison of OCT angiography review strategies to identify vascular abnormalities in the AVATAR study. Ophthalmology Retina. 2(6), 606-612
19. Wray NR, Ripke S, Mattheisen M, Trazskowski M, ..., Hu M, ..., Lewis CM, Levinson DF, Breen G, Borglum AD, Sullivan PF, eQTLGen consortium, 23andMe research team and the major depression disorder working group of the psychiatric genomics consortium. (2018) Genome-wide association analyses identify 44 risk variants and refine the genetic architecture of major depression. Nature Genetics. 50(5), 668.
17. Yan J, Chen SA, Local A, Liu T, Qiu Y, Dorighi KM, Preissl S, Rivera CM, Wang C, Ye Z, Ge K, Hu M, Wysocka and Ren B (2018). Histone H3 lysine 4 monomethylation modulates long-range chromatin interactions at enhancers. Cell Research. 28(2), 204.
15. Ehlers JP, Wang K, Vasanji A, Hu M and Srivastava SK. (2017) Automated quantitative characterization of retinal vascular leakage and microaneurysms in ultra-widefield fluorescein angiography. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 101: 696-699.
14. Fong K, Zhao JC, Kim J, Li S, Yang YA, Song B, Rittie L, Hu M, Yang X, Perbal B and Yu J. (2017) Polycomb-mediated disruption of an androgen receptor feedback loop derives castration-resistant prostate cancer. Cancer Research. 77(2): 412-422.
13. Qin ZS, Li B, Conneely KN, Wu H, Hu M, Ayyala D, Park Y, Jin VX, Zhang F, Zhang H, Li L and Lin S. (2016) Statistical challenges in analyzing methylation and long-range chromosomal interaction data. Statistics in Biosciences. 1-26.
12. Grudzen CR, Richardson LD, Johnson PN, Hu M, Wang B, Ortiz JM, Kistler EA, Chen A and Morrison RS. (2016) Emergency department-initiated palliative care in advanced cancer: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA oncology, 2(5): 591-598.
11. Smith SW, Jamin CT, Malik S, Abrukin L, Tupchong KM, Portelli I, Asaeda G, Prezant DJ, Wang B, Hu M, Goldfrank LR and Meyers CM. (2016) Freestanding Emergency Critical Care During the Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy: Implications for Disaster Preparedness and Response. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. 10(3): 496-502.
10. Smith SW, Braun J, Portelli I, Malik S, Asaeda G, Lancet E, Wang B, Hu M, Lee CD, Prezant DJ and Goldfrank LR. (2016) Prehospital indicators for disaster preparedness and response: New York City Emergency Medical Services in Hurricane Sandy (CDC-Sandy). Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. 10(3): 333-343.
9. Li L, Lyu X, Hou C, Takenaka N, Nguyen HQ, Tong OC, Potts CC, Hu M, Lei EP, Bosco G, Qin ZS and Corces VG. (2015) Widespread rearrangement of 3D chromatin organization underlies polycomb-mediated stress-induced silencing. Molecular Cell. 58(2):216-231. Cover image of the April 16, 2015 issue.
8. Lu J, Li H, Hu M, Sasaki T, Baccei A, Gilbert DM, Liu JS, Collins JJ, Lerou PH. (2014) The distribution of genomic variations in human iPSCs is related to replication-timing reorganization during reprogramming. Cell Reports, 7(1): 70-78.
6. Zhao CJ, Yu J, Runkle C, Wu L, Hu M, Wu D, Liu JS, Wang Q, Qin ZS and Yu J. (2012) Cooperation between polycomb and androgen receptor during oncogenic transformation. Genome Research, 22(2): 322-311.
4. Kim JH, Dhanasekaran SM, Prensner JR, Cao X, Robinson D, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Huang C, Shankar S, Jing X, Iyer M, Hu M, Sam L, Grasso C, Maher CA, Palanisamy N, Mehra R, Kominsky HD, Siddiqui J, Yu J, Qin ZS and Chinnaiyan AM. (2011) Deep sequencing reveals distinct patterns of DNA methylation in prostate cancer. Genome Research, 21(7): 1028-1041.
3. Qin ZS, Yu J, Shen J, Maher CA, Hu M, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Yu J and Chinnaiyan AM. (2010) HPeak: An HMM-based algorithm for defining read-enriched regions in ChIP-Seq data. BMC Bioinformatics, 11(1): 369.
2. Yu J, Yu J, Mani RS, Cao Q, Brenner CJ, Cao X, Wang X, Wu L, Li J, Hu M, Gong Y, Cheng H, Laxman B, Vellaichamy A, Shankar S, Li Y, Dhanasekaran SM, Morey R, Barrette T, Lonigro RJ, Tomlins SA, Varambally S, Qin ZS and Chinnaiyan AM. (2010) An integrated network of androgen receptor, polycomb, and TMPRSS2-ERG gene fusions in prostate cancer progression. Cancer Cell, 17(5): 443-454.
Dr. Hu is one of 11 researchers across the country to receive the prestigious grant for early-career genomics researchers.
Dr. Hu and collaborators developed a new method, SnapHiC, to study chromatin spatial organization in single cells to help reveal mechanisms governing gene regulation and disease etiology.
Dr. Hu and a group of international collaborators will investigate how chromatin is spatially organized within the nucleus of various cell types and how this organization changes over time—the fourth dimension—in an effort to identify targets for treating a host of diseases.
In collaboration with researchers across the country, Dr. Hu used a multi-omics approach to define the epigenetic characteristics of cell types critical for cerebral cortex formation, revealing potential targets for neuropsychiatric diseases related to faulty cortical development.