We are exploring the genetic and epigenetic mechanisms underlying lethal cancers of the genitourinary tract with the goal of translating discovery in to novel therapies. Our approach couples translational research to clinical investigation in GU malignancies at Cleveland Clinic's Lerner Research Institute. We are developing powerful tools for identifying predictive and prognostic biomarkers as well as for therapeutic target discovery. The mission of our lab is to reduce the burden of prostate and bladder cancer through fundamental discovery and to improve the lives of cancer patients.
Selected Publications (2015-2020)
- Molecular Characterization of Neuroendocrine-like Bladder Cancer
Batista da Costa J, et al. Clin Cancer Res 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 30952638
- Transcriptomic and Protein Analysis of Small-cell Bladder Cancer (SCBC) Identifies Prognostic Biomarkers and DLL3 as a Relevant Therapeutic Target
Koshkin VS, et al. Clin Cancer Res 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 30327311 Free PMC article.
- The ASTRO Research Portfolio: Where Do We Go From Here
Yu JB, et al. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 30647008
- Case study: patient-derived clear cell adenocarcinoma xenograft model longitudinally predicts treatment response
Vargas R, et al. NPJ Precis Oncol 2018. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 30202792 Free PMC article.
- Computed tomography imaging assessment of postexternal beam radiation changes of the liver
Lock M, et al. Future Oncol 2016 - Review. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 27576360 Free PMC article.
- The landscape of early carcinogenesis revealed through the lens of integrative genomics, epigenomics, and transcriptomics
Balyimez A, et al. J Thorac Dis 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 31372248 Free PMC article.
- Correlation between MRI phenotypes and a genomic classifier of prostate cancer: preliminary findings
Purysko AS, et al. Eur Radiol 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 30847589 Free PMC article.
- Improving prediction of surgical resectability over current staging guidelines in patients with pancreatic cancer who receive stereotactic body radiation therapy
Cheng Z, et al. Adv Radiat Oncol 2018. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 30370361 Free PMC article.
- Impact of Cribriform Pattern and Intraductal Carcinoma on Gleason 7 Prostate Cancer Treated with External Beam Radiotherapy
Tom MC, et al. J Urol 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 31059665
- Validation of a neuroendocrine-like classifier confirms poor outcomes in patients with bladder cancer treated with cisplatin-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy
Grivas P, et al. Urol Oncol 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 31812633
- The evolving role of molecular profiling in prostate cancer: basal and luminal subtyping transcends tissue of origin
Mian OY, et al. Transl Cancer Res 2017. PMID 30873354 Free PMC article.
- Bladder-sparing treatment of nonmetastatic muscle-invasive bladder cancer
Ericson KJ, et al. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 31851158
- Prevalence of Substance Use in Patients With Cancer Receiving Radiation Therapy
Choflet A, et al. Clin J Oncol Nurs 2016. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 27441512
- Intraoperative Registered Ultrasound and Fluoroscopy (iRUF) for dose calculation during prostate brachytherapy: Improved accuracy compared to standard ultrasound-based dosimetry
Lee J, et al. Radiother Oncol 2017. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 28647400 Free PMC article.
- Analysis of the 2017 American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Research Portfolio
Yu JB, et al. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2019. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 30647006
- GSTP1 Loss results in accumulation of oxidative DNA base damage and promotes prostate cancer cell survival following exposure to protracted oxidative stress
Mian OY, et al. Prostate 2016. PMID 26447830 Free PMC article.
- Timely stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for spine metastases using a rapidly deployable automated planning algorithm
Mian OY, et al. Springerplus 2016. PMID 27563532 Free PMC article.
- Yes, Nodal Recurrence of Prostate Cancer is Potentially Curable
Tendulkar RD and Mian OY. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2020. PMID 31928637
- Analysis of Spatial Dose-Volume Relationships and Decline in Sexual Function Following Permanent Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer
Peng LC, et al. Urology 2020. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 31454660
- Validation of the NCCN prostate cancer favorable- and unfavorable-intermediate risk groups among men treated with I-125 low dose rate brachytherapy monotherapy
Tom MC, et al. Brachytherapy 2020. Among authors: Mian OY. PMID 31813740
Cleveland Clinic is one of the highest volume centers of excellence for bladder cancer research and care in the nation. With a new $2.4 million Translational Team Science Award from the Department of Defense (DoD), physician-scientist and project lead Omar Mian, MD, PhD—as well as partnering investigators Shilpa Gupta, MD, and Tae Hyun Hwang, PhD, and a team of talented collaborators—look to not only bolster Cleveland Clinic’s bladder cancer program, but also its rapidly expanding portfolio of immuno-oncology research.